Brisbane Old Museum

 

The Old Museum was built in 1891 on Gregory Terrace in the suburbs

of Bowen Hills after a fire destroyed the first exhibition building in 1887.

It was then called the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall and was commissioned for the use of the Queensland National Agricultural and Industrial Association.

One of Queensland’s most recognized architect, George Henry Male Addison, was the designer of the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall.

He made use of the progressive eclecticism architectural style in

designing the building. Its historical and architectural value is

evidenced by its inclusion in the Queensland Heritage Register.
Management of the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall changed hands

in 1897 when the economic depression forced the Queensland National Agricultural and Industrial Association to turn its assets into cash.

The ownership of the building as well as the surrounding grounds was transferred to the Queensland Government.
 

brisbane old museum in gregory terrace

From 1899 to 1986, the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall housed the Queensland Museum. The Queensland Museum moved several times since its foundation in 1862. It was moved to The Windmill, the Parliament House, the General Post Office and its own home, but it stayed longest in Bowen Hills.

There it stayed for 86 years before moving to the Queensland Cultural Centre at the South Banks in 1986. Due to its long association with the

Queensland Museum, the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall became known as the Old Museum.


During those times when the Queensland Museum was still located there, the Old Museum also served other functions. Its concert hall was leased

to the Brisbane City Council making the Old Museum the main concert venue in Brisbane from 1891 to 1930. From 1930 to 1974, the Concert Hall

served as the art gallery of Queensland.

Until the present, the Old Museum continues to open its doors and serve as a home to many orchestras. It is where the Queensland Youth Orchestra regularly holds concerts. Italso houses the Queensland Youth Choir, the Queensland Rhythmic Gymnastics Organization, the Queensland Police Pipes and Drums, The Kelvin Grove Wind Orchestra (KGWO) and the Zen Zen Zo Physical Theatre Company. Its concert hall and rehearsal places are also available for rental to the public.

Various parts of the Old Museum have undergone restoration in 1997, 1999 and 2005 to 2006. The William Anderson organ which was used in

St. Stephen’s Cathedral from 1921 to 1987 was installed in the Old Museum as part of the improvement made in 1997.