Brisbane Norman Park

 

Norman Park is a residential area located four kilometers away from Brisbane’s central business district. It is dotted with parks and

recreational places, and its residents are among the few who have the privilege of owning a home right along the beautiful Brisbane River.

 

However, residents of neighboring Camp Hill. Coorparoo, East Brisbane, Hawthorne and Morningside, as well as people from other places, will

have no problem visiting Norman Park as buses, commuter trains and cross-river ferries operate in a steady stream to link this suburb with the rest of Brisbane.

The first residents of Norman Park arrived in 1853. They must have named their settlement after Norman Creek which flows along its edge. The price of the land they settled in at that time was three pounds per acre. To better facilitate travel between Norman Creek and other suburbs a bridge was built in 1856.
 

brisbane norman park

But this improvement did not help hasten the development of Norman Park at that time, especially in the interior part and Norman Creek’s north-east side.

Still, the lack of development did not deter visitors from enjoying its picturesque slopes. It was a popular destination for picnics even way back in the 1870s. Another bridge was opened in 1886, the Stanley Street Bridge. This bridge connected Norman Park to Coorparoo. Two other bridges were

built after that. The last bridge opened for use in 1956.

Galloway’s Hill was among the first areas in Norman Park to be settled in. It was formerly known as Norman Hill but was renamed in 1865 after its biggest land owner, John James Galloway. The Queensland Deposit Bank later bought it in 1885 and developed it. Its streets now carry the name of the directors of the bank, as well as the names of poets.

Though development almost came to a standstill after the 1893 floods, some industries were still established in Norman Park: dairy farms, a foundry,

a leather factory and a broom factory. It remained an agricultural area until World War II. But development soon picked up after the war. Norman Park became a fully residential area. The Housing Commission chose the nearby suburb of Seven Hills for further development, building on its land 189

houses by 1948.

This massive development continued on until the 1950s. To provide playing areas and parks, large areas in the low-lying parts of Norman Park

were reclaimed. The detrimental environmental effect of this outburst of development is now being addressed by the council and community groups. Starting in the 1990s, they’ve began the restoration of the creek and mangroves. This has resulted in a flourishing flying fox colony near Churchie and

the proliferation of mud crabs, mullet and prawns.