|The bronze Lion
statues, which supposedly defend the King George Square
entryway to the Brisbane City Hall, were originally
installed on huge
sandstone plinths, as a portion of the
George V memorial, which was bared in 1938, as a honorarium
to the King from the residents of Brisbane.
Vehicular traffic, composing a trolley-bus path, functioned
through the square until 1969, when the roadway was closed
Buildings on the northern side of the square was obtained
by the City Council and abolished, as work began on the
construction of the underground
King George Square Car Park.
A round-shaped fountain, found in the center of King George
Square, was also removed, and a rectangular-shaped fountain
As a direct aftermath of the current (2005–2007) dryness,
the water in the rectangular-shaped fountain has been
briefly substituted by a distinguishing "Watersense garden" with drought-resistant
There are statues of some well-known Queenslanders in a
special area of King George Square, known as the "Speakers'
The statues are of Emma Miller (1839-1917), Steele Rudd
(1868-1935) and Sir Charles Lilley (1830-1897).
Bronze sculptures from the Expo '88
area have also been
integrated into the square's design. During the next two
years, the lower two levels of the King George Square Car Park will be transformed into the
King George Square Busway Station. With the establishment of
the King George Square Busway Station, King George Square
once again being redeveloped. A design contest was held for
the redevelopment of the Square.